Rice cake is one of the most well-known and popular dessert in Asia, especially Taiwan and China. It has been one of my favorite dessert at all time and I’ll be teaching you how to make rice cake at home from scratch!
For the ingredients, you will need the following:
60ml coconut water
150ml toddy (palm wine)
250g rice flour
1 packet fruit salt (4.5g)
Pink food colouring (optional or can be added to only half of the mixture)
Below are the steps in making rice cake:
- Pour the water into the pot. Bring to the boil and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- Pour the coconut water, toddy and rice rice flour into the mixing bowl. Pour the cooled sugar syrup over these ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Set aside the bowl and its ingredients for 6 hours. Place a towel over the top and allow it to rise.
- The next day, add the fruit salt and coloring just before steaming. Mix well.
- Heat the Chinese tea cups until warm. Pour the rice cake mixture into each cup.
- Steam the cups over high heat for 25 minutes. During this time the cakes will rise, cracking into segments at the top, which is to be expected.
- Serve warm. These treats will be enjoyed by children and adults alike.
By knowing the steps in making rice cake, you will be able to make delicious rice cake from scratch at home!