“What do I want for high school graduation gift? Plastic surgery,” says a South Korean girl.
How many of you are shocked by the statement above? Well. I am. I am shocked not because she wants to be pretty, but because she is willing to get a plastic surgery for her graduation gift and she is probably only 18 years old! In South Korea, it is common for people to get plastic surgery and the this trend has become very popular in recent years.
Here are 10 interesting facts about Korean plastic surgery!
1. Everyone in Korea wants to have light skin, tiny nose, big eyes with double eye lids, and a small V-shaped face.
2. Plastic surgery has become so normal that no one seems to be ashamed by it. People might even ask one another where to they get their nose or chins done.
3. Specific procedures are known as “The Basics” which includes eyelid surgery in creating double eyelid and nose jobs.
4. Girl groups like T-ara readily admit to what procedures they’ve had done.
6. Plastic surgery has become so popular that it’s not uncommon for Korean high school girls to go under the knife. In fact, it’s believed that the earlier you do it, the more “natural” it looks as you grow into your features.
8. One of the most popular reality TV shows is “Let Me In,” on which contestants share sob stories of being bullied and picked on before a team of experts “fixes” them. At the end of the show, they parade down a runway to unveil the new look to a live audience.
9. If you go to a station like Sinsa or Apgujong, you’ll be bombarded with advertisements that promise impressive results and a new, better you.